Frequently Asked Questions
1. I do not want TLDEF to serve as my lawyer, but I have a legal question I want answered. Can a TLDEF lawyer answer my question?
No. TLDEF lawyers cannot answer legal questions, give legal advice, or do legal work for you unless you are a TLDEF client.
2. I have an emergency and cannot wait for TLDEF to respond to my intake. Is there a way I can speak to a TLDEF lawyer immediately about my case?
No. TLDEF processes all intakes on a first come, first served basis.
3. I filed an intake request 10 days ago and have not heard back from a TLDEF lawyer yet. Can I call TLDEF or email a TLDEF lawyer to find out when I will get an answer on my intake?
No. TLDEF will respond to all intakes on a first come, first served basis. We respond to every intake request via email. Please be patient while our lawyers evaluate your potential case.
4. Does TLDEF offer accommodations during the intake process to persons with disabilities?
Yes. If your disability makes it difficult to complete the online intake form, you can call TLDEF’s Office Manager Tabytha Gonzalez at 646-862-9396 extension 105. Ms. Gonzalez will work with you to ensure that you are able to submit an intake. PLEASE
NOTE: Ms. Gonzalez cannot give you legal advice. Additionally, intakes processed through Ms. Gonzalez are given the same priority as intakes submitted through the online form.
5. TLDEF sent me an email declining to give me legal help. Can you tell me why my case was declined?
No. It is our policy to keep our internal decisionmaking confidential.
6. I am a transgender person and have a legal problem outside of the United States. Can TLDEF help me?
No. TLDEF’s lawyers are only allowed to practice law in the United States.
7. I am a transgender person and need a lawyer for a legal issue that does not involve discrimination. Can TLDEF refer me to transgender-friendly lawyers in my area?
No. TLDEF does not maintain a list of transgender-friendly lawyers and cannot give you advice about how to find a lawyer.
8. I am a transgender person and need help finding medical care to help me with my gender transition. Can TLDEF help connect me with doctors in my area?
No. TLDEF works on legal issues affecting the transgender community. We cannot connect you with local medical providers or give you advice on medical care.
9. I am a transgender person and need help finding housing. Can TLDEF connect me with transgender-friendly housing in my area?
No. TLDEF works on legal issues affecting the transgender community. We cannot connect you to local housing resources or give you advice on acquiring housing.
10. I want to learn more about the transgender community. Can TLDEF send me educational materials?
No. Unfortunately, TLDEF is unable to provide general educational materials. If you are interested in learning about TLDEF’s work we suggest that you explore our website.