Jobs & Internships
Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF) is seeking its next development assistant. Founded in 2003, TLDEF is committed to achieving equality for transgender people through impact litigation, our name change project, and public education. The Development Assistant position description is below:
Title: Development Assistant
Status: Part-time, hourly (non-exempt)
Hours and Pay: 25 hours per week; $15 - $25 per hour (DOE)
Reports To: Interim Executive Director
Position Overview: The Development Assistant plays an important role by providing administrative support to the interim executive director and participating in all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, and special events.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Continually update and correct database records. Clean database quarterly.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Coordinate production and mailing of spring and year-end appeal letters.
- Track donations in the database and keep a file of all donor acknowledgement letters.
- Answer donor questions regarding individual giving, online giving, and special events.
- Write and post social media and email campaign solicitations.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fund-raising events.
- Track sponsorship fulfillment for events (artwork for logos, program ads; follow-up to obtain guest lists; etc).
- Provide technical assistance at events.
- Handle all administrative details associated with the Development Committee meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.)
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing).
- Provide monthly reports of online donations to office manager for accounting purposes.
- Assist with collecting and submitting documents for government contracts.
- Assist grant writer as assigned.
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the interim executive director.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of transgender and LGBT issues required.
- Preference for candidate with prior work experience with a transgender or LGBT organization
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in a related field.
- A minimum of three years' experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office.
- Experience successfully maintaining digital and paper files.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- CRM Database management experience – Network for Good preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBTQ persons to apply
About Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund:
Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, Inc., founded in 2003, is committed to achieving equality for transgender people through impact litigation, our name change project, and public education.
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The recruitment process will include an interview, followed by a computer skills test and brief written assignment.
Summer Legal Internships
Each year, TLDEF hires summer legal interns. At this time, we only accept applications for summer legal internships from law students.
TLDEF’s summer legal interns are Jennifer Michelle Chavez Law Fellows, named in honor of pioneering transgender rights advocate Jennifer Chavez. Learn more about Jennifer Michelle Chavez here. Applications for Summer 2017 internships are now closed.
Fall and Spring Semester Legal Internships
We are currently seeking law student interns. To apply for an internship, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Donna Levinsohn by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Law students considering a career in public interest law have often pursued public interest law fellowships upon leaving school. These fellowships usually require a student to be sponsored by a public interest organization. TLDEF will proudly sponsor qualified applicants for Equal Justice Works, Skadden, and other fellowships.
Potential fellowship applicants should contact TLDEF well in advance of any fellowship deadlines, as planning for such fellowships requires preparation.
If you are a potential fellowship applicant who would like to work with TLDEF, please send cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information for three references to Donna Levinsohn by email: email@example.com