Today is Statewide GENDA Call-In Day - It's Time to Act!
Last week, the New York State Assembly passed the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA). The only remaining obstacle to the bill becoming law is the New York State Senate. The time is NOW to take action and make our final push to get the Senate to vote to end discrimination against transgender New Yorkers.
GENDA would amend the state's human rights law to ban discrimination in housing, employment, credit and public accommodations. It also expands the state’s hate crimes law to explicitly include crimes against transgender people.
We need you to call your Senator and the lead Senate sponsor Tom Duane at their Albany offices to tell them that you want them to bring GENDA to the Senate floor and pass it. We’re at a crucial moment and it is vital that they hear from you.
Here’s how to make your calls:
1. Find your State Senator’s Albany phone number here. You can reach Senator Tom Duane at (518) 455-2451.
2. Tell them the number of the GENDA bill (S.2406) and ask them to support GENDA and bring it to the floor for a vote.
3. Use these talking points to convey the urgent need for GENDA and the broad support it has:
- Transgender people experience tremendous job discrimination. One-fifth of transgender New Yorkers have incomes below $10,000 a year.
- 28% of transgender New Yorkers have experienced a serious physical or sexual assault motivated by hate.
- 78% of New York voters support GENDA.
- Unions representing 2.1 million working New Yorkers support GENDA.
- 30 Fortune 500 companies based in cities like Rochester, Corning, New York City and White Plains already have non-discrimination policies that include gender identity and expression. It's time for the rest of the state to catch up.
- 547 clergy and lay leaders representing over 20 different religious denominations support GENDA.
4. After your call, please report your results to our partners at the Empire State Pride Agenda. Tell them which Senators you called, who you spoke to in the Senator's office, and what response you received. Your feedback will help us pass GENDA in 2010!
Working together, we can win! If you can't call today, call tomorrow. Start making those phone calls now!
Can you help phone bank for GENDA this Thursday?
Phone banking is a key element in the strategy to win protections for transgender New Yorkers. If you have some time to spare, you can make a huge difference. The GENDA phone bank will take place this Thursday, March 11th, from 5:30 - 8:30 pm at the offices of the Empire State Pride Agenda. You can arrive any time between 5:30 and 7:30 pm and stay for as long as your schedule allows.
Please respond by calling Joanna at 212.627.0305, x103 or sending an email letting her know that you are available.
Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested in helping.